Filing taxes for multiple W2 jobs from different employers

If you had more than one employer in the past year, then you should and would receive one W2 form for each of them. This can be the case of having multiple W2 jobs in parallel, that is at the same time (a.k.a. being overemployed) or having jobs consecutively, that is one after another. So when filing taxes yourself, simply include all the W2 forms in the return form (e.g., 1040)— add all the amounts from different employers together for each of the boxes. If you are doing it the paper way, mail Copy B of each W2 form with the return form.

The IRS cares about the total amount you made. They don’t want anyone to put less than what they actually made. So first, make sure your total gross amount from all the jobs are added up. Then, you can do the same for the withholdings. Because each job withheld Social Security tax, you overpaid on that category.

You can also use software like Turbotax or H&R Block. If you hire a CPA, simply send them all your W2s and he will add them up as needed. You’ll just need to review the final return form, e-sign it and either pay money to the IRS or wait for the money to come back to you from the IRS, because you’ve overpaid in withholdings.

If you work multiple W2 jobs in parallel and are afraid what a CPA will think of it—don’t fret! Most of them don’t care a bit! It’s very normal in the tech/IT industry to consult on W2, that is a firm hires a consultant for short term projects but pays them as W2 employees. Sometimes these consultants are hourly but they are still paid via W2 not 1099. So you can always say to your CPA that you consulted for a different company, and they didn’t want to set up 1099 so they just processed my consulting side gig as a W2.

My two CPAs never asked me anything about having 3+ W2 forms and 5+ 1099s forms in any given year. Hope your tax return will give you money back and if not then still you’ve made good money and kept most of it. Generally, taxes go to good causes. Reason to celebrate!